Economic Legislation Resources
This webpage serves as a central repository for advocates engaged in the economic legislation debate or who want to find ways get involved. Congress has an opportunity to keep up momentum in our recovery by passing legislation that lowers costs and helps millions of people make ends meet. An economic package should include:
- Investments in child care and pre-k that would provide much-needed care to kids in all 50 states and help parents work;
- Expanded health care and key health benefits, including closing the Medicaid coverage gap, extending the enhanced ACA marketplace premium subsidies that helped millions afford individual coverage last year, improving access to postpartum coverage, continuous Medicaid coverage for children, and possible investments in home- and community-based elder care;
- Some expansion of the Child Tax Credit, with the focus on securing permanent refundability.
Issue by Issue Analyses
- Child Tax Credit (CTC)-
- Why Congress should enact a permanent expanded CTC
- How CTC has a critical role in helping families maintain economic stability
- Rising food and energy prices underscore the urgency of action on the CTC
- CBPP Chart: Child Poverty Higher for All Racial/Ethnic Groups, and Disparities Greater, Without Child Tax Credit Expansion
- Treasury Department report with state data on CTC payments distributed in December 2021
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)-
- Health –
- Congress Needs to Act Now to Reduce Coverage Losses When Public Health Emergency Ends
- State factsheets about the Medicaid coverage gap in non-expansion states to make the urgent case for closing the gap by economic legislation.
- Policymakers should include policy proposals for people with disabilities that would allow many more disabled people to access affordable health coverage and live safely in their homes and communities, and would better reward work and reduce hardship.
Resources to Support Your Efforts
- Talking Points – Use these talking points to help make the case on why Congress should pass legislation that lowers costs and helps millions of people make ends meet.
- Addendum to our talking points
- President Biden’s 2023 Budget–
- Federal Scoop Newsletter – Keep up to date with the latest developments in Congress by checking out the “Latest Updates” section on our website
- If you haven’t already, make sure you are subscribed to the newsletter to receive these updates directly in your inbox!